Occold is a parish and village 2 miles south from Eye terminal station on a branch from Mellis of the Great Eastern Railway. In the North Eastern division of the county, Hartismere hundred, petty sessional division and union, county court district of Eye, rural deanery of North Hartismere, archdeaconry of Suffolk and diocese of Norwich.
The church of St Michael, an edifice of flint with stone dressings, was originally a Norman building, repaired in 1854, reseated and reroofed, and consists of chancel, nave, south porch and western embattled square tower with pinnacles, clock and 5 bells. The tower was built in 1426, but has since undergone considerable alterations. The church was reseated with open benches in 1877; there are 150 sittings. The registers date from the year 1681.
The living is a rectory, net yearly value £270, with 46 acres of glebe and residence, built in 1846, in the gift of and held since 1908 by the Rev Herbert Edward Champion MARSHALL, M.A. of Christ's College, Cambridge.
Ed: Glebe - also known as Church furlong, Rectory Manor or Parson's Close(s), is an area of land within an ecclesiastical parish used to support a parish priest. A holder of a benefice could retain the glebe for his own use, usually for agricultural exploitation, or he could lease it to others and retain a rent as income.
The burial ground was enlarged by the addition of half an acre in 1902.
There is a Baptist chapel, erected in 1832, with sittings for 300 persons.
St Catherine's Hall was erected in 1909 in memory of Mrs Frances Catherine TODD, wife of the Rev Horatio Lovell TODD, M.A., rector 1868-1908.
Lee's charity arising from the rent of land, produces about £58 yearly; £13 annually is distributed in equal portions, every Friday, in bread to the poor; the remainder of the net income being given in clothing.
Denny's charity of £1, arising from the Occold Hall farm, is distributed in bread every Ash Wednesday.
Henman's charity produces about £50 yearly; part of the net income is distributed to the poor in coal at Christmas and part goes toward repairing the church.
The rector is lord of the manor of part of Occold. The trustees of the late Rev Charles CHAPMAN, vicar of Church Coniston, Lancs, are lords of the manor of Occold Hall and Mrs BURROWS has the manorial rights of Benningham. The chief landowners are the trustees of the late Rev Charles CHAPMAN and the trustees of the late Douglas MILLER.
The soil is good heavy land, subsoil clay. The chief crops, which are on the four course system, are wheat, good barley, clover, roots, peas and beans. The area is 1,508 acres, including the hamlet of Benningham Green. Rateable value is £1,593. The population in 1911 was 436.
Ed: A sexton is an officer of a church, congregation, or synagogue charged with the maintenance of its buildings and/or the surrounding graveyard. In smaller places of worship, this office is often combined with that of verger. In larger buildings, such as cathedrals, a team of sextons may be employed.
Mrs Clara PATRICK, sub-postmistress. Letters through Eye arrive at 6:40am and dispatched at 9:30am and 6:55pm. Sundays 9:40am.Eye is the nearest money order and telegraph office, 2 miles distant. Wall letter box, near the Church, cleared at 9:45am and 7pm, Sundays at 9:30am.
Public Elementary School (mixed), Opened in 1879, for 126 children, average attendance 101. George BOSWORTH, master.
GOOCH, Edmund, Winfields
OLIVER, Mrs, The Cedars
MARSHALL, Rev Herbert Edward Champion (rector), Rectory
BALLS, Frederick William, farmer, Benningham Green
BREESE, Frank, farmer, Benningham Hall and Poplar Farm
BREESE, William, farmer, Occold Hall and at Wood Farm, Rishangles and Southolt Park Farm, Southolt
BRUNDLE, Cornelius, carpenter
BRUNDLE, George, bricklayer
CAPON, Edwin Benjamin, maltster
Ed: Son of Edwin Benjamin CAPON, landlord of The Beaconsfield Arms, ~1881-1901
EVERSON, Ezekiel, news agent
EVERSON, John, shopkeeper
HAVERS, David, blacksmith
HINES, Thomas, farmer
LAST, Herbert Henry, grocer, draper, boot, shoe, china & glass, patent medicine dealer and farmer, Grove Farm
LAST, James, threshing machine owner, High House
LAST, William, farmer, threshing machine owner and landowner, Church Farm
Ed: Father of Eric WIlliam LAST who sold off the Threshing Tackles in 1947
MOORE, Thomas Spencer, farmer and landowner, Benningham Grange & Winfield's Farm
MOYSE, George, boot and shoe maker
PALLANT, Henry, farmer
PALMER, Francis & Son, wheelwrights
PATRICK, John, tailor
REYNOLDS, Ambrose, Bottles PH
Ed: Landlord of The Bottles Inn
SHULVER, James, blacksmith
WOODS, Alfred, farmer, White House Farm
Ed: Father of Frank Carter WOODS, KIA, France & Flanders, 1916
Reading Room & St Catherine's Hall, George BLAKE, Hon Sec