Village Hall Bookings & Info
People of Occold
We now have an online database of people from Occold containing a lot of their family history data. Currently, there are
3,152 people and
and this is growing daily.
Visit People to search the database.
The total amount raised so far for National and Local Charities stands at:
The total raised in 2018 was
Would you like to be the Local Recorder for:
The Suffolk Local History Council runs a Recorders Scheme throughout Suffolk. We administer a network of volunteers to ensure that the ‘present’ is adequately recorded at local level for the ‘future’.
A Recorder will note significant happenings in their parish and collect their local parish magazines, leaflets, election pamphlets and newspaper cuttings. At the end of each year, they are asked to submit a short report summarising the activities of their parish. The reports are deposited at the Suffolk Record Office and available to future researchers together with the collected items.
If you are interested, please look at the Recorders Pack by visiting www.slhc.org.uk to acquaint yourself with the guidelines of the scheme. You do not need to be a historian; you do not need any qualifications other than an interest in your parish. In return you will receive a copy of the SLHC Newsletter and be invited to the annual conference specifically for Local Recorders. To volunteer to help in this important work, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
this already as material for this website, I don't see everything! Some suggestions as to what you can tell me about:
The following text is from our previous Recorder, Barry Woods, who died easrlier in 2019:
" I need the help of local organisations and individuals to tell me about what goes on. Whilst I get a lot of this already as material for this website, I don't see everything! Some suggestions as to what you can tell me about:
- Primary School, Pre School and Youth Club - Foreign exchange visits, field trips, participation in regional or national events for e.g. sport, dance, theatre etc. Significant changes to school curriculum
- Parish Council - Major changes within the parish including roads, boundaries, footpaths and changes to existing buildings
- St Michaels, Jubilee Baptist - Any major changes to buildings or noteworthy events
- ORAC - Major events together with the posters, significant changes to Village Hall, Playing Field, Play Area and Village Green, updates on Village Fete, Craft Fair and Luncheon Club
- WI, Football Club, Carpet Bowls etc - Any major events or achievements e.g. trophies, programme of speakers etc
- Village Hall Classes - Any major event, exhibition or participation in national or regional events
- Individuals - Any significant achievement or representation in sport, theatre, dance etc - don't be modest or tell me about someone you know. Keep on the lookout for any material, photos etc that may have recorded Occold's past - its people, places and events particularly if you find old newspaper articles.
SLHC do request a one page report annually in October from Recorders to summarise their parish. I will be retaining all this material in digital form and will produce an annual CD which will be made available to Suffolk Records Office and anyone who would like a copy."